I believe I have always had a little place in my heart for strawberry shortcake. There are so many amazing desserts out there, but strawberry shortcake has got to be one of my all time favorites. This lemon strawberry shortcake may take the prize though…
When I was little, and it was summertime in Vancouver, my mom would occasionally have such a crazy busy, and exhausting day from having 5 kids, chores, gardening etc that she would pick up fried chicken and strawberry shortcake for dinner. This RARELY happened, because we never really ate out, but when it did, oh my goodness! It was like the Heavens had opened and the most perfect dinner had come down to Earth. I could hardly stand the wait! My mom would grab some fresh strawberries from the garden and mash them up a little bit with a pastry cutter, add a little sugar, and let them sit in the fridge while we had dinner. Then she’d pull out those little, round angel food cakes and top them with the berries and whipped cream. It was perfection.
As I got older we would occasionally, and by occasionally I mean once a year, go to BurgerVille. If you live in the pacific Northwest you know about BurgerVille. It’s such a favorite. MMMMMMMM, I’m missing it as I type. Well, they have a strawberry shortcake with an actual shortcake. It became one of my all time favorites. It always hits the spot. Everything there is good, although I’ve never tried the special sauce, and now I don’t live there, so I’ll probably never get to.
Anyway, the other day I really started to crave that version of strawberry shortcake, but of course I had to make it my own. This is what I came up with, although next time I’ll let the berries sit a little longer so as to allow them to break down and let the juices flow. I truly cannot express how much I loved these. That tiny bit of lemon is almost unnoticeable, but oh my heavens it is light and refreshing. The shortcakes are tender and flaky, but the hold up nicely to the berries. Gosh, I think I’ll be making these again tomorrow. I can’t help it! This is my all time favorite strawberry shortcake ever. EVER!
Tender Shortcakes with a hint of lemon and full of fresh strawberries and creamy whipped cream. Perfect for all spring and summer long.
- 1 Pint of Strawberries, sliced and sprinkled with sugar in a bowl
- 1/2 Pint Heavy Cream, whipped with a little sugar at the end until it is sweetened
- 2 Cups Flour
- 5 Tablespoons Sugar, plus a few tablespoons for topping
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 3/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream, plus a few tablespoons for topping
- 1/4 Cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 Cup Cold, Unsalted Butter, cut in small cubes
- 1 Large Egg
- In a medium sized bow, mix together the dry ingredients and the lemon zest with a whisk.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it looks like small peas.
- In a small bowl, slightly beat the egg.
- Add the egg, and all wet ingredients to the flour mixture and use a fork to gently mix the dough together. Place on a lightly floured surface and gently knead the dough until everything is holding together. Roll the dough out to 1/2" thick and use a glass or biscuit cutter to cut out shortcakes. Place on a baking sheet. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and let rest 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Heat the oven to 425. Remove from the fridge and let sit for a few minutes. Brush the tops with a little heavy cream and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes.
- Cool, and then break open, and serve with fresh berries, whipped cream and lemon zest.
More Strawberry Desserts