My husband introduced me to fried tortellini when we first got married and since then we have changed it up a little and it is serioulsy one of our favorite quick meals. However, I have two requirements with this dish when my hubs makes it.
First, my husband likes his pasta really soft. It’s too soft. He overcooks it. Don’t worry, we have never argued about it, but I am just saying, don’t overcook the pasta. I promise it makes a huge difference.
Second, once the pasta is added to the veggies keep the heat on med-high so the tortellini can start to crisp up on the edges.
My absolute favorite part about this dish is that you can change it to fit your cravings or to fit what you have available. For example, this time I just had peppers and carrots, but generally we add mushrooms too. In the old pictures from years ago you can see that we had sun dried tomatoes too.
Gooey, cheesy fried tortellini. A quick meal that doesn't require additional sauces and calories and an easy way to load up on veggies.
- 1 Container Fresh Tortellini (We love to buy ours at Costco or by Buitoni)
- 1 Red and Green Bell Pepper, julienned
- 1 Large Carrot, Julienned, or sliced thin
- 1/2 Cup Mushrooms
- 1 Clove Garlic, pressed
- 1-2 tb Olive Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Mozzarella Cheese Shredded
- Heat a skillet with 1 tb oil to med-med high and toss in the garlic. Let the garlic cook until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds.
- Add the carrots and cook until tender. Add the peppers and mushrooms.
- Meanwhile, get some water boiling in a pot and add the pasta. Tortellini actually cooks rather quickly so keep an eye on it. It all will be floating at the top.
- Drain the pasta and add to the veggies. Usually we have to add a little more oil. Cook until the tortellini begins to brown and the flavors combine.
- Add mozzarella, toss everything and serve!
Add any veggies that you like. We love sweet peppers, peas, mushrooms, asparagus, carrots, etc. Make sure you cook harder vegetables like carrots before you add quick cooking veggies like peppers.