I wanted to go for something a little different compared to your basic Pasta Primavera, so this Asparagus Pesto Primavera pasta is tossed in a creamy pesto sauce and the veggies are sauteed for a little more of that carmelized flavor. You could throw in any veggies that you prefer, but these were the ones that I had on hand, and we happened to really love the flavors all together. In fact, the hubby said,
“Loved that pasta!” Before I even had a chance to ask. So, you know it turned out well.
Did you know that pasta primavera, while it sounds like an original “Italian” dish, actually originates from Nova Scotia (or New York depending on which story you’ve heard”. It’s funny because I just figured it sounds Italian and I know Italians love fresh ingredients so therefore, Italian! I think this is so true with every type of food. Ask a few Latin American’s if they grew up on “Cafe Rio” or “Taco Bell” food, same with Asians, etc.
In fact, when served actual Chinese, many people don’t really like it at all even though they eat at the good ol’ China Buffet once a month. (Which I personally do not understand, just sayin’)
So, this recipe is another creation using a Knorr product. We loved it. It worked perfectly and the best part? The sauce took a total of 3 minutes to cook! AWESOME! I did add a little butter in place of some of the olive oil and a little lemon just to brighten everything up.
Anyway, here’s the recipe… enjoy!
Asparagus Pesto Primavera
- Recipe By Me
- 1 Packet Knorr Creamy Pesto Sauce (found by all of the seasoning packets like McCormick etc)
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Cup Skim Milk (you can use whatever, but I'm adding butter and preferred to use Skim)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 /2 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1-2 Teaspoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- ½ Cup Asparagus Spears, cut in 1" pieces
- ½ Cup Bella Mushrooms
- ⅓ Cup Peas
- 1 Beefsteak Tomato Chopped
- Salt And Pepper to taste
- 8-10 oz Campanelli Pasta
- Start your pasta water (salted please) and 2 sautee pans. In each pan add a little olive oil and butter over medium-high heat (about 1-2 teaspoons each) Add the mushrooms into one pan and the asparagus into the other pan.
- Begin to sautee the mushrooms and asparagus until they begin to turn tender and are browning slightly. Turn the heat down to medium and add the tomatoes in with the mushrooms, and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Also turn down the asparagus. but you don't need to add the peas yet. Sautee the mushrooms and tomatoes for about 5 minutes or until tender and browned. The last two minutes of cooking add your peas with the asparagus and cook lightly.
- Meanwhile, once the pasta water begins to boil, add the pasta and cook until al dente.
- When everything is almost done cooking, heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add the milk, oil, butter and Knorr Creamy Pesto Packet. Whisk together until all ingredients are well combined and then allow to cook for 2½-3 minutes or until thick. Whisk in the lemon zest and juice and cook on simmer for an additional minute.
- Once everything is cooked toss all ingredients in a large bowl and add a little paremsan cheese on top. Enjoy!