I hate lunch time with all of my heart and soul. Really, I do. I hate thinking up something to eat for myself, and for my kiddos. Especially during the Holidays. You tend to have more people in the house even if it is just your own family. I like to have some good ideas for quick, but totally delicious lunches, so I don’t feel so bugged by lunch time. It’s even more important when you have guests and you don’t want to offer everyone a plain ol’ PB&J for lunch. Meet, Bacon, Apple and Applewood Cheddar Grilled Cheese.
The cheese is by Ilchester and you can find them in your Gourmet Cheese Section. Mine happened to be on sale which was even better. If you cannot find the Applewood Cheddar, just use another good quality cheddar or smoked cheddar. You’ll want that flavor, trust me. I love how deep the flavor is in the cheese melted all over the smoky, salty bacon, and then you get this amazing burst of sweet from the apple. I know it sounds weird, but I PROMISE that sweet and salty are made for each other. Didn’t you ever have an apple with cheese growing up? Come on? Someone?! A good bread is also a must. Mine’s our homemade wheat, but you just use whatever good quality bread you prefer.
- recipe by me
- 2 Slices Hearty Wheat (or white) Bread
- A couple Slices Of Ilchester Applewood Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Sweet Apple (I used Honeycrisp), peeled and sliced thin
- 2 Slices Bacon, cooked
- Butter for grilling
- Layer the cheese, cooked bacon, apple slices, and a little more cheese on the bread. Place the other slice of bread on top and butter the bread.
- Heat a pan to medium heat and place the sandwich butter side down. Let grill until perfectly golden, meanwhile butter the top. Flip and grill until golden again. This is one grilled cheese I like to press down a little to help the cheese seal in the fixings.
- Eat up!