The baked potatoes get sliced in half, baked in the oven and topped with a loaded bacon broccoli cheddar sauce. A super, easy family favorite dish on your table in 30 minutes.
Hey guys! I’m Emily from Layers of Happiness – a food blog where my mom and I share family favorite recipes using everyday ingredients and extraordinary flavor. I’m so excited to share one of our family’s new favorite recipes: Baked Potatoes with Loaded Broccoli Bacon Cheese Sauce.
Loaded baked potatoes are a very popular in our house. I mean, who doesn’t love bacon, broccoli, and cheese stuffed in a baked potato? It’s a most glorious combination we just can’t get enough of.
These are the tastiest and quickest way to make baked potatoes.
First, we start off with the baked potatoes, which get sliced in half and baked face down with some olive oil and salt for about 30 minutes. I love slicing my potatoes in half when I bake them because it cuts down on the baking time and it give the exposed surface an amazing crispy crust.
While the potatoes are baking, we make the cheese sauce. Making cheese sauce at home is not difficult. It’s actually one of the easiest and quickest little recipes around. There is no excuse to buy anything from a can or from a jar. Homemade cheese sauce, made from real sharp cheddar cheese, milk, flour, and butter, is the only way to go. Plus, it tastes worlds better.
After the base is made it gets loaded with finely chopped broccoli and crumbled bacon.
The only thing that’s left to do is spoon it over your baked potatoes while it’s still hot!
These are hearty and filling enough to be served as the main dish, but you could also serve it with grilled chicken or steak for extra protein.
The potatoes and cheese sauce are best when served immediately after preparing, when it’s nice and hot. But this cheese sauce and baked potatoes will keep if they are tightly covered in the refrigerator for about 1 week. Just heat it up before serving – it’s a great item to make ahead before the guests arrive.
- 6 medium russet potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups whole milk (no substitutions)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (not pre shredded)
- 2 Tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1¼ cups chopped steamed broccoli florets (they should be chopped up into very small pieces and then measured)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rinse and scrub potatoes and cut in half length wise. This helps speed up baking time.
- Rub the potatoes on both sides with olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides. Place face down on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.
- In a small sauce pan, heat the milk over medium heat until you see bubbles forming at the top.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in another saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle the flour over the top, stirring constantly until a thick paste forms, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the warm milk to the flour and butter paste in a steady stream, whisking constantly. Continue cooking, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. It should be thick but still pourable. Add the cheese, whisking constantly until it is melted. Add the hot sauce and cayenne. Stir in the broccoli and bacon. Taste, then add salt and pepper to taste. Add more cayenne and/or hot sauce if preferred. If the mixture is too thick, you can add a little bit more milk until desired consistency.
- Spoon hot cheese sauce over baked potatoes and serve immediately.
Hungry for more? Try our…
Connect with Jen and Emily: