Want better than Mom’s chocolate chip pancakes? Just make one little change to our recipe for Melt in Your Mouth Buttermilk Pancakes and your husband will want to marry you all over again. But seriously, he will.
Sorry Mom, I adore you more than the pancakes but I also think my version is better than what we grew up eating.
It’s all about that last swirl of melted butter. I don’t understand why butter is so wonderful but it is. It can make an entire recipe so much better, but then you brown the butter and oh my sweet mercy, it is heaven!!
Browning butter is really easy, and even more easy to screw up. You’ll want to cook it until golden brown, but not too dark and immediately pull it not only off of the burner but pour it into a bowl to cool so it doesn’t continue to cook. It should smell a little nutty and you may get excited just by the look of it.
It will make your pancakes taste like a chocolate chip cookie and that is NEVER a bad thing. The batter will be very thick, but that’s absolutely right. Just scoop it onto the griddle and spread it out just a little bit. Serve with fresh buttermilk syrup and let us know on social media if you make it by tagging your photo with @ohsweetbasil #ohsweetbasil
- 3 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups of sifted flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs, slightly whisked
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips plus more for on top.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the butter and cook, stirring with a whisk, until golden and foamy, about 2-3 minutes. Quickly pour into a bowl to cool.
- Preheat a griddle to medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the salt, baking powder, baking soda, flour and sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and buttermilk. Drizzle in the butter as you continue to whisk.
- Switch to a wooden spoon and make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour in the wet ingredients and chocolate chips and stir until almost completely combined. Please remember, the more you stir pancakes the more flat and tough they will be so please mix until a few streaks of flour are remaining.
- Butter the griddle and scoop ⅓ cup of batter and cook until bubbles begin to form, flip and cook until golden. Serve immediately.
- Nutrition Information