Super easy Slow Cooker BBQ Ribs in a tasty Blackberry and Hoisin Sauce with a healthy hit of Chinese 5 spice!
Hi! Kevin here from Closet Cooking!
When Carrian asked me to contribute a ‘dude’ food recipe for Father’s Day I immediately said yes and ideas started speeding through my head!
Given that Father’s Day is is just around the start of summer I had to go for a recipe that involved some out door cooking and what guy doesn’t like ribs!
I like to keep things nice and simple with ribs so I go for easy slow cooker ribs where the ribs are cooked in the slow cooker until perfectly tender before being slathered with BBQ sauce and thrown on the barbecue to quickly finish things up and to give the a smoky, slightly charred, flavour!
For these ribs I went with a summery theme with fresh blackberries and I seasoned things with an Asian style including plenty of Chinese 5 spice, garlic, ginger and hoisin sauce. The ribs are hit up with a dry rub before being placed into the slow cooker and then they get the blackberry hoisin BBQ sauce treatment before hitting the grill.
These Blackberry Hoisin BBQ Ribs are so nice and easy to make and just perfect for Father’s Day!
Blackberry Hoisin BBQ Ribs
- For the Blackberry Hoisin BBQ Sauce:
- 4 ounces blackberries
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Chinese 5 spice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon garlic, grated
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- For the Ribs:
- 5 pounds (2 racks) baby back or St. Louis Style Ribs, fat trimmed, silver skin removed
- 2 tablespoons Chinese 5 spice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- To make the Blackberry Hoisin BBQ Sauce, puree all sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender and optionally strain to remove the blackberry seeds.
- Rub the ribs with the mixture of the remaining ingredients, place in the slow cooker and cook until fall off the bone tender, 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.
- Brush the ribs with the blackberry hoisin bbq sauce and grill or broil until the sauce is bubbling and just starting to char.