I cannot believe I forgot to tell you about one of our new favorite, winter salad recipes, Blood Orange Salad. Or, as we like to call it, Christmas Salad. This is the perfect Christmas or Holiday salad, not only because of the seasonal flavors, but we loooove the colors. Just watch as that dressing settles and has it’s own little Ombre look. Gosh, I’m so fashionable that even my food could walk the runway (said as I’m chillin’ in grey sweats, an Abercrombie sweatshirt from 2000 and fluffy hospital socks.) 😉
I had the fantastic opportunity to go to Utah Valley Magazine a while back and a few of us bloggers were able to do a photo shoot of our favorite holiday dishes. Trust me, this one is definitely a favorite. I’ve also been itching to make Janey’s (Utah Valley Foodie) cheese dip. Good mercy that thing was delicious. Actually everyone’s food was amazing. Lindsey, Cafe Johnsonia even went all out with a Cassoulet. She’s a genius. I want to grow up just like her, but I’m not growing up for at least 10 more years.
Seriously though, how beautiful is that ombre dessing? Your guests (the ladies over the look and everyone over the flavor) will be loving this beautiful and tasty holiday salad. It’s packed full of oranges, blood oranges, beautiful greens, pears and brown sugar almonds. Oh, and the dressing is seriously perfect for the season. It’s a little bit citrus and warm spice all wrapped up in a neat, little package. Your holiday meal will not be the same without this beauty.
Blood Orange Salad
- ¼ Cup Blood Orange Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Blood Orange Zest
- 1 Tablespoon Regular Orange Juice
- ½ Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon [Honey Wine Vinegar-http://www.slideridgehoney.com/]
- 1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- ⅛-1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- ½ Cup Slivered Almonds
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- ⅓ Cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ Teaspoon Cinnamon
- Parchment Paper
- 1 Package Mixed Greens
- 1 Red Pear, sliced
- ½ Orange, peeled and sectioned
- ½ Blood Orange, peeled and sectioned
- ¼-1/3 Cup Gruyere Cheese, grated
- ⅓ Cup Brown Sugar Almonds
- Add all of the ingredients into a mason jar and shake to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat a pan to medium heat. Add the almonds and cook for 2-3 minutes or until nutty in smell and lightly golden.
- Quickly add the butter and cook just until it is melted. Quickly add the brown sugar and cinnamon, stirring to combine and turn out onto parchment paper to cool.
- Mix the greens, oranges, pears, and cheese. Top with almonds and dressing, enjoy!