Awhile back, my girlfriend, Lindy and I were talking and she brought up this pasta salad that I have not had in months and months. The salad was very familiar to me. My parents’ best friends, the Glems, well Peggy, made this for BBQ potlucks etc growing up. So, my mom got it from her and I got it from my mom. Of course talking about it made me want it so I decided to make it as soon as possible.
You see, I am a picky pasta salad eater. I think a lot of pasta salads are bland, too oily, or plain ol’ weird.
The Bowtie Chicken Salad is one of the few pasta salad recipes that I actually really like. It’s not even full of spice, but the creamy flavor with all of the different textures really is so good. And guess what, it’s the pineapple that’s my favorite. And it’s the cashews that make the dish. You need a little crunch with that creamy pasta.
So, back to the story. A few days passed and I was ready to make the salad, but of course I couldn’t find the recipe anywhere. So irritating. I called my mom, who of course was not answering the phone, so I hurried and texted (is that even a word?) Lindy and asked her to email it to me. The girl was quick, and I had it right away. Then my mom called back. Things always happen like that. So now I have both recipes and guess what, they are a little different and so I just did a combo of both. OH, was it good!
If you want to you can add green onion, almonds, chopped apples, and celery. Both recipes had more than what I put in, but it’s up to you.
Bowtie Chicken Pasta Salad
- 6 Cups Chicken, chopped (we prefer rotisserie because it is more flavorful, but you could totally use 30oz of canned chicken if you are in a hurry)
- 2 Cups Mayo
- 1 Bottle Kraft Coleslaw Dressing
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Can Pineapple Pieces (I use half)
- 1 Lb Red Seedless Grapes, Halved
- 1 Cup celery, chopped
- 1 Box Bow Tie Pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 Cup Cashews
- Mix together the pasta, chicken, mayo, dressing, salt and pepper. Place in the fridge with plastic wrap for 30 minutes or up to all day.
- Remove from the fridge and add remaining ingredients.