We planted spaghetti squash in our garden last summer & now we have buckets of the stuff. I’m always looking for new recipes to try with it. Tonight I made this brown butter spaghetti squash based on the stuff in our fridge. You could easily substitute any veggies or meat that you like-or leave the meat out for a vegetarian meal.
When I was younger one of my friends decided to be a vegetarian. I was shocked! I grew up in a meat and potatoes home. My mother was from Idaho and my father from Oregon so we ate meat with every single dinner. That was the farm way. It was not however her way. I didn’t understand what a vegetarian was really other then you didn’t eat meat. That was enough to stop my inquiries as who could possibly eat dinner withouth meat? I don’t think it was a nutritious decision at all either.
As soon as she went vegtarian she also went overboard on the candy. No joke. She wouldn’t eat meat so she ate quite the plethora of candy instead. Whaaaaa? I think she missed the boat there a bit, but I’m quite certain she is back to meat eating. And even if she wasn’t I’ve personally discovered that eating vegetarian for a few meals a week is actually quite awesome. Our bodies actually love the whole “meat sparingly’ concept. Fancy that. 😉
Brown Butter Spaghetti Squash
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 2-3 mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-2 links of hot Italian sausage
- 1½ tablespoons butter
- ¼-1/3 cups shredded Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Slice the squash in half lengthwise and place face down on a cookie sheet. Put enough water on the sheet to cover the bottom. Bake for 1 hour, or until soft. (You can also microwave the halves for 20-30 min). When soft, run a fork along the inside to scrape the meat away from the shell.
- Meanwhile, cut the veggies into bite-size chunks and set aside. Remove the casings from the sausage and brown. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil and saute the veggies. Remove from heat, set aside. Melt the butter and let cook over medium heat until slightly brown. Add all the ingredients except cheese and stir together. Top with cheese & serve.