Well we did it, we busted out another casserole recipe for you. And not just any casserole, we listened loud and clear when you told us what you like about recipes, ranch, cheese, chicken, rice and easy. This cheesy ranch chicken and rice casserole hits all of that plus there’s a bunch of veggies in there AND you can pick between brown or white rice, we tested both with the exact same results. Boom.
Why do we all love chicken so much? Did you know that beef actually used to be eaten more and it was cheaper? Now it’s all about the chicken. For this recipe we started out with leftover rotisserie chicken because I didn’t have to cook it, but you could totally just bake, boil, or pan cook up some chicken breasts. Heck, you could even use ground chicken or turkey in this recipe and it would turn out.
Did you know that one of the most asked questions on our site is actually about meat substitutes? It’s true. “Can I use ground turkey instead of ground beef?” The answer is always yes. Listen, ground meat is ground meat and you totally can substitute. If you’re trying to be healthier our favorites are ground turkey, ground bison or ground chicken in last place. Ground beef is not unhealthy, you just have to be careful with draining grease and eating too much red meat.
Anyway, we love you all and so very much enjoy your comments and emails. Keep them coming and make this cheesy ranch chicken and rice casserole for dinner!
Cheesy Ranch Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- ½ Cup Minced Mushrooms
- ¼ Cup Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Ranch Seasoning Mix
- 1 Cup Milk
- ½ Cup Chicken Broth
- 2 Cups Cooked Chicken, chopped
- 1 Heaping Cup Sliced Carrots, steamed
- 1 Heaping Cup Broccoli, steamed
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup White or Brown Rice
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas *optional
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Colby Jack or Cheddar Cheese, sliced (about 9-12 slices)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the butter until melted, and then the mushrooms and garlic. Stir occasionally for 1-2 minutes then quickly whisk in the flour. Allow to cook for 30 seconds more and add the ranch, milk and broth, whisking until it begins to simmer. Cook 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Spray an 8x9" baking dish with nonstick spray then add the chicken, veggies, additional broth, water, sauce and rice. Stir to combine and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the peas and any additional seasoning, sampling to get the rice flavorful. Top with cheese and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly. Serve immediately.