It’s almost here and I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess that grocery stores are going to be busy this weekend while everyone grabs all of their snackity snacks for the Super Bowl. If you don’t have yours picked out yet may I suggest chorizo dip (queso fundido), these 20 super bowl ideas, 10 healthier snacks for the superbowl or any of these 50 dips! I could go on and but instead why don’t you just come over to my facebook page where I’ve been and while continue to post great ideas for the super bowl. And if you don’t have facebook, no worries I have a gameday board on pinterest. But first, everyone needs something other than chips and dip so here’s how to make chili cheese dogs in the slow cooker or oven for a party.
I know everyone is talking about snacks and dips and I’m all over it as well, but I’ve changed my opinions on game day food. I’m all about the dips, but I’m also in love with having a few lighter options like fruit and dip, veggie tray, pinwheels, and I’m sold on having real food as well. Chips and dip and bacon wrapped weenies can only go so far before you all feel a little gross and yet strangely not satisfied.
Our friends, Jed and Nalani always had a group over for the Super Bowl and I so very much appreciated that there was always such a variety and there was always something a little more substantial like, sandwiches, meatballs and more. We all get so excited for the snacks that we tend to skip meals, and that’s never fun or good as you’ll tend to eat more of the junk. Surprisingly, chili dogs aren’t that bad for you. You can buy turkey dogs and even use ground turkey to lighten things up a little if you’ve like it.
This particular recipe comes from a blog friend who was kind enough to pass on her mom’s secrets to us! We have to admit, the chili was dang good, and sure enough, even better over hot dogs with cheese! And guess what? You can easily make this all in the slow cooker, add the hot dogs and cook until guests arrive and then let them pull out their own dog, top with the chili they were cooked in and add toppings of choice. Or, if you don’t even want to deal with that you can prep everything and then just a little bit before guests arrive stick the hot dogs in buns, line up on a baking sheet or in a dish, top with chili and cheese and as guests are arriving have the dogs baking in a 350 degree oven util the cheese is melted. Pull them out and let everyone grab a dog right away!
Everyone gets a real meal with little effort! And thank you, thank you to Katrina for the fantastic recipe!!
Chili Cheese Dogs in the Slow Cooker or Oven
- 1½ cups of minced hydrated onions - soaked & drained (we used ¾ cup, and yes use dry onions you've rehydrated by soaking in water for 10 minutes)
- ½ cup of finely chopped CELERY (secret ingredient)....and the smaller the chop, the better....
- ¼ cup of butter
- 1½ lbs. ground beef/hamburger meat
- 3 TBsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice (yes, only fresh)
- 1 pkg. McCormick's Mild Chili Seasoning
- 1 tsp. regular yellow jar mustard
- 29 oz. tomato sauce
- 1½ TBsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 4 TBsp. of brown sugar
- 1 package hot dogs
- Buns for hot dogs
- Colby Jack Cheese, shredded
- Melt butter in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the celery and onions and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- In separate pan, brown the ground beef & drain the grease. Place in a large stock pot or slow cooker, add the onions and celery and all remaining ingredients and simmer for one hour or cook on low or warm for a few hours, like 3-4. *see note for further instructions*
- Place hot dogs in their buns, top with chili, then cheese and place under a broiler to melt.
Or if you make the chili in a stock pot and don't wish to add the dogs, just assemble the chili dogs in a baking pan or on a baking sheet, top with cheese and bake at 350 for 10 minutes or broil for 1 minute once guests arrive. Everything will be done all at once!