It’s some of our favorites in a whole new way. Cowboy caviar quinoa is a mashup of the classic cowboy caviar salsa and a healthy quinoa side.
Today’s post is going to be so much fun!! This summer Cade and I decided to team up with Bertolli Olive Oil to remix classic summer recipes, one of our favorite things to do. We spun the Bertolli Olive Oil bottle to see what classic summer cuisine to recreate with our own unique spin and landed on quinoa and brats! You guys, meant to be!! I’m from the Pacific Northwest where we are all about fresh, farm to table meals and Cade is from the South where grilling brats is a big to-do! Tomorrow will be the brats but today is all about the salad.
This awesome video was a collaboration with Bertolli, Oh Sweet Basil and Fesler Films!
To find more classic summer recipes with a unique spin visit Bertolli, and get excited because here we go!
Let’s chat about one of our pantry staples, olive oil because we’ve found that small changes like the kind of salt or olive oil you use can make a huge difference in the outcome of a dish. So what’s the story?
Extra virgin olive oil is perfect for anything that you want to give a light touch to, salad dressings, vegetarian dishes with a healthier spin, actually any dish that is great cold.
Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil has a bold rich taste, best suited for cold uses like marinades, dressings and dips.
Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil is cold pressed, and therefore retains the most flavor. Which is always a really good thing. You can use EVOO when you can really appreciate the flavor that it adds to your food, like for dipping bread, drizzling over finished dishes like pasta or risotto, adding rich flavor to marinades and dressing salads.
So here’s your challenge, it’s the perfect time of year for a cold salad and a little grilling, and of course time with family. Before you know it you’ll be living the life of school and schedules again so why not get in the kitchen, let the kids whisk up a light and easy dressing, put your main squeeze at the grill then enjoy a picnic together?
Cowboy caviar is one of our favorites that our family has been making forever, but now we’ve freshened things up with a from scratch dressing and a mashup with a healthy quinoa side. Just cook the quinoa in broth to offer an extra depth of flavor, whisk up a little dressing and toss in all of your favorites, sweet corn, creamy avocado, crunchy peppers, and on and on.
Cowboy Caviar Quinoa Salad
- 1 Cup Quinoa, rinsed
- 2 Cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- ½ Red Bell Pepper
- 1½ Cup Frozen Corn, defrosted
- 1 Can diced italian or Mexican style tomatoes, drained
- ½ Purple Onion, diced
- 1 Can black-eyed Peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Small Avocados, diced
- ½ Bunch Cilantro
- ½ Cup Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup Bertolli White Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1 Tablespoon Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Dry Parsley
- ½ Teaspoon Dry Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic, minced
- 2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice, fresh
- 1 Teaspoon Dry Basil
- 1 Teaspoon Dry Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a pot over medium high heat, add the chicken broth and quinoa. Bring to a boil and turn down to simmer. Place the lid on the pot and simmer according to package directions. Remove the pot from the heat, allow to sit for 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork. Season with a pinch or two of salt and set aside to cool.
- Once the quinoa is cool, add the remaining ingredients and dressing and fold everything together. Chill for up to 30 minutes and serve.
- Whisk together all of the ingredients and set aside.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Bertolli. The opinions and text are all mine.