Cinco De Mayo is right around the corner and I stinking love Mexican food. I know that the holiday is not one about food, but aren’t all holidays like that? It’s always to celebrate something else, but yet everyone wants the dang food. I was trying to think up something fun for the family since I’m pretty much the worst at holidays, but this Tres Leches Cake would be awesome. My friend, Maihsmy does it so well so I kind of want to beg her to make me one. And there’s churros but I’ve never really had one which just doesn’t make sense,but I’ll work on that. Yes, I love these little quick and easy churro bites, and these churro pretzels are pretty darn awesome too, but I wanted something fried, I mean different. 😉 Clearly dulce de leche churro donuts will work just fine.
Ever since I discovered this whole frying a Pillsbury donut thing I’ve kinda become obsessed. I rarely do it because, well because it’s fried bread which doesn’t exactly make for a very healthy heart, but I am always looking for a new excuse to whip up a batch. So I’m going to try to resist making these fried 7 layer dip taquitos (yeah right, I’ll cave) and I’ll shoot for only dessert being fried. Plus this donut has a little surprise that takes it way over the top, Dulce de leche. Cade could swim in the stuff he loves it so much. And let’s be honest I love everything about fried dough, stuffed with caramel and rolled in a cinnamon sugar with powdered sugar mixture. I think I just died a little saying that. It’s ok every once in a while right?
- 1 package Pillsbury Grands Biscuits
- Dulce De leche or caramel sauce
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup cinnamon sugar
- oil (peanut or canola) for frying
- Heat the oil to 350 degrees, or over medium heat in a large cast iron post.
- Pull apart each biscuit. Fry 2-3 donuts at a time, turning over halfway through and drain on paper towels.
- Melt the dulce de leche on 30 second intervals in the microwave. Pierce each donut with a knife and using a pastry bag or squeeze bottle, fill each donut.
- In a dish, combine the powdered sugar and cinnamon sugar and roll each donut in it. Serve immediately.