Brown butter, check. Sea salt, check. Chocolate Chip Cookie, check. Nutella and dulce de leche stuffed cookies, heaven. You absolutely must try these!
A long, long time ago I pinned a recipe from Ambitious Kitchen for (and stick with me here, this is a long cookie description) Browned Butter, Chocolate Chip Cookies stuffed with nutella and topped with sea salt. It was delicious, but then we made nutella and dulce de leche stuffed chocolate chip cookies and Cade was sold, actually I was too!
His new favorite cookie and I can totally see why he likes this recipe. It’s probably the most amazing cookie ever.
So here’s what went down, last week I posted about the amazing surprise surgery my husband had we are holding, but that wasn’t the only thing that went down. When we decided to have all of the bloggers out to watch the surgery I decided that we were going to need something crazy delicious to munch on while we waited for the surgery to get over. And then these babies were born.
It all started out like normal, delicious cookie dough made with browned butter. MMmmmm, browned butter. Is there anything better than browned butter?!! I love the cookie dough, and it’s pretty tricky to keep sneaking little fingers out of it (yes, I mean mine, not the kids’), but then you pop it in the fridge overnight and the flavors develop into something magical, wonderful and amazing. Next, I flattened a little dough in my palm, added a little dollop of nutella and then dulce de leche, close the dough around it and then add a little sprinkle of sea salt.
Bake the little bundles of heaven and try not to faint when they finally emerge from the oven.
I have no words. I mean that, it’s just incredible. Gosh, it’s good.
Nutella and Dulce De Leche Stuffed Cookies
- 1 Cup of Unsalted Butter (2 sticks)
- ½ Cup White Sugar
- 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla
- 2⅓ Cups Flour
- 1¼ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ¾ Cup Milk Chocolate Chips (we prefer ghirardelli)
- ¾ Cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Dulce de Leche
- Sea Salt
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the butter and cook, stirring slowly with a whisk until golden, nutty scented and foamy, about 3-5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, mix the flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl.
- Add the sugar and brown sugar to a standing mixer and add the browned butter. Mix for 2 minutes to properly combine the sugar mixture. Add the vanilla and mix again. Finally add the egg and egg yolk and mix for a few seconds or until the egg is incorporated. Add the flour bowl contents and mix for 30-60 seconds before adding the chocolate chips.
- Place a large sheet of saran wrap on the counter and dump out the dough. Form the dough into a long log and cover tightly with saran wrap. Refrigerate the dough 30 minutes.
- Slice the dough into circles to make it easier to flatten.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 350 and line a few baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat mats.
- Press a ball of the dough in the palm of your hand and place ½ teaspoon of nutella and ½ teaspoon of dulce de leche on the dough. Wrap the dough over the filling and shape into a ball. Place on baking sheets and bake for 9-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with a little sea salt. Allow to cool for a minute or two before placing on a cooling rack.
Ghirardelli Chocolate Chips are best
This recipe is adapted from Ambitious Kitchen