Golden hash browns make a great crust for this hash browns ham frittata! Serve as is or with hot sauce for a spicy little pop!
Our cookbook, Our Sweet Basil Kitchen has been doing so well and continues to be sold around the country all thanks to our sweet readers and friends. How can we ever thank you for always standing by our sides, supporting and cheering us on? Thank you so much from the bottom of our hearts! This Hash Browns Ham Frittata is one of the exclusive recipes from the cookbook and as a thank you for your love and support we wanted to share it with all of you!
We hardly ever post savory breakfast recipes and I’m not sure why as Cade and I definitely love a savory breakfast. This hash browns ham frittata is one of our personal favorites but to be honest I’m not sure if it should be considered a frittata or a quiche, but for us it’s delicious and that’s what matters.
You start out by browning some shredded hash browns in a pan with some oil. Cook each side until golden and then set the first bath on a plate while you finish the second. The second batch will be the bottom crust while the first is going to be torn apart in strips and pressed against the sides.
After the crust is in place, pull out a new pan and saute your peppers and ham. Now, I know this is a bit of back and forth but pull your ham off the hot burner and add the potato pan back on so the cold crust can start to reheat
In a bowl, whisk your eggs, milk, cheese and seaoning. You can skip the milk if you needd to or even add water but I’ve found the eggs are fluffier with it. Mix the ham saute with your egg mixture and pour it in the hash brown crust. Let it cook for only about 30-45 seconds so the edges just start to set.
Now toss the whole thing in the oven for 10-12 minutes and Cade likes to serve his with a dash of hot sauce, I like mine as is or I secretly like a drizzle of ketchup, don’t judge me.
Hash Browns Ham Frittata
- 4 Cups Hash Browns, divided
- ¼ Cup Oil, divided
- ½ Teaspoon Salt, divided
- ¼ Teaspoon Pepper, divided
- 2 Teaspoons Butter or oil
- 10 Large Eggs
- ¼ Cup Milk
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ⅛ Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Cup Mini Sweet Peppers, chopped
- ½ Cup Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1½ Cups Baby Spinach
- 1½ Cups Smoked or Brown Sugar Ham, chopped
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and once hot add half of the hash browns. Sprinkle with half of the salt and pepper and allow to cook for 7-8 minutes. Flip the hash browns once golden and cook an additional 2-4 minutes or until golden. Repeat with remaining hash browns.
- Using an oven-safe skillet or cast iron skillet, drizzle a small amount of oil in the bottom and rub it around with a napkin. Lay half of the hash browns in the bottom, covering the entire bottom. Use the remaining hash browns to tear in strips and press along the sides of the skillet to create a crust.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Stir in the cheese and set aside.
- With the empty nonstick skillet, heat the burner to medium high heat and add the peppers. Cook for 2 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add the ham and spinach and cook for another 2 minutes or until the spinach has completely cooked down. Set aside and place the hash browns skillet back over the hot burner. Let the potatoes begin to heat up again, about 1 minute. Quickly pour the pepper mixture in with egg mixture and then into the hash browns skillet. Allow to cook for about 30 seconds or until the sides just begin to set. Place in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the middle is set and does not jiggle when you move the pan. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and serve.
Good quality sausage in a pan topped with gooey cheese, crisp bacon and fluffy eggs all on a buttered bagel or English muffin, but trust me it’s awesome.