This isn’t your normal one skillet recipe. This honey mustard bacon chicken skillet is healthier for a few reasons but still totally craveable!
A while back we made honey mustard bacon brats and let me tell you, they are delicious. Like major good. It’s hard to want a brat any other way now. But as Cade and I were cleaning up dinner he said, “That sauce is so good I want to eat it on everything!” and as he snagged one last piece of saucy bacon from the pan to gobble it down before washing the skillet I had the idea.
This really would be good on anything. Like really. At first I was really going to go to town and make a crunchy chicken but Cade and I are trying really hard to make good eating choices during the week, which is difficult today as I just photographed the best, oh my goodness amazing pumpkin cookies ever and I can hear them calling my name from the kitchen, “Carrian, you know you could have just half a cookie and you’d feel so happy…”
Those cookies are a tad creepy if you think about it, calling out to me and such.
Anyway, because of that I decided to skinny this dish up. Boneless, skinless chicken cooked in a nonstick skillet so no extra fat was needed. Then I used thin cut bacon and drained off all of the grease before making the sauce. Yes, it does have bacon so it’s not a perfectly healthy skillet recipe but it’s much healthier than those cream version.
Dang, I need to make a cream version.
This is why we have a blog, the ideas are constant and we just have to keep sharing!
Honey Mustard Bacon Chicken Skillet
- 4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 slices Bacon
- ¼ Cup Pure olive oil
- 2 clove of Garlic, minced
- ¼ Cup Water
- ¼ Cup Honey
- 1 Heaping Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons of fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat a nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the chicken and turn to medium low. Allow to cook for 5-6 minutes, flip and cook an additional 5-6 minutes or until cooked through. Remove to a plate.
- In a bowl, whisk together the water, honey, mustard and cilantro. Set aside.
- Heat the same skillet over medium heat and add half of the bacon. Cook, turning half through until crisp, remove to a paper towel lined plate and repeat with remaining bacon. Chop the bacon and then drain the bacon grease.
- Return the pan to medium heat and add the olive oil and garlic. Cook, stirring the garlic for a few seconds to cook the garlic. Add the dressing and bring to a simmer. Turn to low and cook for 3 minutes, add the bacon and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken back into the pan, spooning the sauce over the chicken. Take off the heat to rest for 3 minutes and serve.