Pecan oatmeal cookies are the best! Chewy, nutty, and packed with oatmeal flavor. These easy to make cookies will become a family favorite in no time!.
Hey! It’s Alli, from Longbourn Farm! I’m so excited to be sharing my oatmeal cookie recipe with you. Oatmeal cookies will always be one of my favorites, I can still remember learning how to make them at my grandmothers house. She taught me how to bake and oatmeal cookies always remind me of being in the kitchen with her.
You may think I’m exaggerating but this really is the best oatmeal cookie recipe, the balance of flavors is divine! The all-butter base is the perfect start with just the right balance of sweet from the brown sugar and nutty from the oats and pecans. A touch of almond extract and nutmeg give the cookies a little extra flavor that really sets them apart.
I use pecans, but chopped walnuts or finely chopped almonds would be delicious substitutes. Any nut you like is probably going to be fine!
I also prefer the texture of quick oats instead of old fashioned oats. The old fashioned oats are a little to big and don’t swell and puff up as much as the quick oats do. If you want to try old fashioned oats, chop them briefly or pulse them a few times in a blender or food processor to get a better texture once they bake in the cookies.
This pecan oatmeal cookie recipe makes a whole lot of cookies, so feel free to cut it in half if you don’t want quite as many cookies! Or you can portion out the dough and freeze it for later, these bake up beautifully from the freezer! I just reduce the baking temperature to 325, place them in the oven frozen, and bake a little bit longer then the recipe calls for.
The only trick to this recipe is using room temperature butter and eggs – as with anything you may be baking! It’s so easy and totally fool-proof. You can make these no problem! I know they will become a family favorite in your house in no time.
Pecan Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch nutmeg
- 4 cups quick oats (see note)
- 1 cup chopped pecans (see note)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a standing mixer or with a hand mixer (or by hand), cream butter, brown sugar, and white sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add almond and vanilla extract, mix until combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg and mix until just combined.
- Add oats, one cup at a time, mixing until just combined.
- Fold in nuts until evenly distributed through batter.
- Drop rounded tablespoons onto a greased or lined cookie sheet (I do 12 per sheet) and bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are set but the middles still look slightly gooey.
Chopped walnuts or almonds can be used in place of pecans.
Head on over to my blog to see what else I’ve been making!
These homemade chocolate chip cookies have a delicious buttery flavor, perfect crispy edges and a chewy center, so good!!
These cranberry toffee oatmeal chippers are my new favorite cookie and you just have to try them!!