My little one is standing here, begging for something to drink, so I’ve got to make this quick.
These Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls were delicious! I was trying to think up some kind of football food that I could make using the Knorr Homestyle Stock when mini philly’s popped into my head, immediately followed by, “Oh my goodness, philly chesesteak EGG ROLLS!”. That was it. I had to try to do it.
The picture was totally rushed and we did end up adding more peppers and onions to the second batch, but they were so good that I didn’t want to take the time to photograph them. Sorry 🙁
I have no way to force you to try these, but if I could I would. They are crunchy, cheesy, a little sweet and snappy from the peppers and a whole lot of juicy from the meat. PERFECTION.
I think (and I promise I truly mean this) that the homestyle stock is the difference. It already has great flavor so it makes the meat amazing.
Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls
- Recipe by me
- 1 3 lb Tri Tip
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1 Tub Knorr Homestyle Beef Stock
- 1½ Cups Hot Water
- 1 Bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon Fresh Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large Red and Green Bell Pepper, Sliced thin
- 1 Onion, sliced thin
- Provolone Cheese, sliced
- Egg Roll Wrappers
- Peanut Oil
- Whisk the tub of knorr stock into the hot water until well combined. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, bay leaf, pepper, rosemary, thyme, and garlic powder. Place the roast in a large ziploc and dump in the broth mixture. Place in the fridge overnight.
- Dump the entire ziploc in a crockpot. Cover, and cook on Low heat for 8 hours. Pull the meat out and shred it and then let it cook 1-2 hours more, or until meat is very tender.(I've totally done 6 hours, shred, cook for two more and it was tender, just not as fall apart as 10 hours)
- While the meat is finishing it's last few minutes, cook the peppers. Add a drizzle of oil and a little chunk (1 tablespoon?) of butter to a large skillet. Add the peppers and onions and cook until carmelized.
- Heat the peanut oil to medium heat.
- Remove meat from broth.
- Lay out an egg roll wrapper like a diamond, and top with one slice of cheese. Add shredded meat, peppers and onions. Brush a little water onto each edge of the egg roll. Fold the right and left corners over the filling. Carefully pick up the bottom corner, pull it up over the filling and tuck the corner under the filling. Carefully roll the egg until it is sealed shut.
- Place the egg rolls in the hot oil. Using a metal spatula or spoon, continually turn the egg rolls so they brown evenly.
- Place the egg rolls on paper towels to drain. Enjoy!!!