Are you looking for a homemade pizza sauce recipe that tastes not only just as good as your favorite pizzeria but in fact it’s even better? This is it!
Over the years we’ve discovered that not all pizza sauce is created equal. There are definitely a few brands that I just don’t love their sauce, and we aren’t just talking Pizza Delivery, but store bought as well. They just aren’t right. We wanted to find an easy to make pizza sauce recipe that still tasted amazing even if it didn’t simmer on the stove for 3 days and have shipped from Italy tomatoes and herbs. We love this sauce because if we’re in a hurry we can use it right away and it only takes 5 minutes to make, but if we have time we let it simmer for up to a couple of hours and the flavor just gets better and better.
We’ve been practicing and practicing to find our perfect sauce, and while we know that there are other recipes out there we still wanted to post ours because, well because we think it’s better. And trust me, we aren’t not blogger snobs, we are totally up for trying out other bloggers’ recipes (don’t worry we didn’t try everyone’s as there just isn’t time), but they just weren’t our favorite. This recipe, this is our favorite.
Our little one is turning 7 on the 24th and she’s all kinds of crazy excited. For 3 months now she has been begging for the perfect pizza for her birthday. So, we are sharing the sauce today and come Wednesday we will be sharing exactly how to make the perfect pepperoni pizza (and trust me everyone can play around with pizza toppings but you all should have the perfect, cheesy, comfort food recipe for pepperoni pizza). Plus, she knows that we do giveaways for readers all the time and that was her birthday request, a giveaway for a reader so definitely check that out.
Ok, back to the sauce. This sauce is not spicy like some restaurants do. That’s just not my style. I mean, a little kick is fine, and please feel free to give it a little more oomph if you need it. This sauce is just magical perfection. I literally dipped a spoon and sampled a few times because it was so good.
Oh my goodness, and the smell. It is intoxicating. Cade walked in and came crawling into the kitchen begging to know what smelled so amazing. I love when he does that. And the best part is he actually finished the sauce and made it amazing with his secret ingredient, cheese. I swear, dairy makes the world go round. If ever in doubt, add a little cheese, right? It finished out the sauce to cheesy perfection and I almost wrote the Utah/Nevada Dairy council and insisted that they put the recipe on their site so everyone knows that dairy is the secret to a good sauce. Can’t wait to hear what you all think!! And don’t forget to come back Wednesday for the perfect Pepperoni Pizza (including a list of exact brands to use to get perfect results).
- 2 Teaspoons Olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Butter (optional or sub more olive oil if you're being healthier)
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1¾ Teaspoons Onion Powder
- ¼-1/2 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1½ Teaspoon Fresh Basil, (I think the Gourmet Gardens tube from the produce department tastes better in this sauce) chopped *3/4 teaspoon Dried
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Oregano, chopped *1/2 Dried
- 2- 8oz Cans of Tomato Sauce
- 4 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 5 Tablespoons Fresh Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 2 Teaspoons Brown Sugar
- ⅔ Cup Warm Water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the olive oil and butter and heat until almost shimmering. Add the garlic, stirring a few times around the pot and then quickly add the onion powder, red pepper flakes, basil and oregano. Stir a few times and allow the herbs to bloom.
- Add Parmesan Cheese, and brown sugar and then quickly dump in the tomato sauce, tomato paste and water. Stir to combine and bring to a light boil. Turn down to low, season to taste and allow to simmer for 1-2 hours for ultimate flavor or use immediately if needed.
We tested the sauce, the dough, the cheese and even what the secret is to perfect pepperoni pizza and then told you all about it!
Have you ever had a salad so good it’s the only thing you get every time you go back to that restaurant? This is that salad.