I’m so excited to have teamed up with Jessica Seinfeld to talk about her new Veggie Blend-Ins that she has partnered with Green Giant to bring to the world. I would normally tell you to just do it yourself but I signed on for this because I just don’t have the time or energy to always do everything myself, especially butternut squash and as these are literally 100% the ingredient I knew I could stand behind Jessica and her new product. I decided to make a scrambled eggs breakfast burrito for a very specific reason.
Our girls are great about trying to eat their vegetables every day, and the other foods work out pretty well too, but scrambled eggs are one of those things that they just barely decided they like, but only if it’s got cheese and a sprinkling of powdered sugar on top. Trust me, there’s a story behind that but it’s for another day. We are getting rid of the sugar but I still wanted a way to offer a little more nutrition to their breakfast so they would stay fuller longer and their bodies would get a variety of nutrients.
We tried a little breakfast burrito action because kids love tortillas and I figured we could add the butternut squash and seasonings to help everything taste a little more flavorful without giving away that it was healthier. It worked like a charm. In fact, it made the eggs softer! I hate dry eggs so this was wonderful for me. The girls loved the flavor and I was finally successful at adding more to their food without it being the same green smoothie in the morning.
Want to try it yourself? You can buy the Veggie Blend-ins on Amazon and try out the easy to open packets of 100% purred veggies! Seriously, no one even noticed the puree, it was easy to open and even smelled yummy. I learned that it’s best to use similar colors like butternut squash in macaroni and cheese etc or to use darker foods to hide the spinach. It helps you figure out what flavors will go well together and helps to hide the secret ingredient so no one feel weary of trying something new.
Scrambled Eggs Breakfast Burrito
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1 packet of butternut squash Veggie Blend-Ins
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons milk
- ¼ cup medium cheddar cheese, grated
- a pinch of salt
- 3 Mini Bell peppers, chopped and sauteed
- Two flour tortillas
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Sour Cream
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat, use oil if you're not using nonstick. In a medium bowl, add the eggs, milk, seasonings, squash puree, milk and cheese. Cook, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes or until fully cooked (some stoves heat up differently). Toss the cooked peppers in and stir to combine.
- Heat another skillet over medium low heat and warm the tortillas. Add the eggs into the two tortillas and top with a little extra cheese. Fold one end in and roll closed then top with sour cream and salsa.