All of my favorite chicken pesto dishes are with a cream sauce. Part of that is my problem as I love a good cream sauce. Like this lemon cream sauce over panko crusted chicken that helped me win the Knorr cookoff. But I always feel like I could save on all of those calories if the pasta, cream and butter were just kicked out of the dish. So I went ahead and did it myself and now we’ve got skinny chicken pesto.
I’ll tell you a secret too. I love the pesto in a jar from costco. It has great flavor and during the winter it’s cheaper than me trying to buy and make my own pesto. We pretty much always have a jar of the stuff on hand. And because I’m all about adding a little extra nutrition why not add some tomatoes for a little more vitamins and get that heart healthy?
In case you’re a little worried about perfectly cooking chicken in a pan without over or under cooking check out this how to that I posted awhile ago. This tip has seriously changed my cooking. We’ve never had such juicy chicken before. So, start out with a few grape tomatoes and sautee them in a pan. Set aside and place a plain chicken breast, seasoned with a small amount of salt and pepper (the pesto will pack enough flavor) in a hot pan following the instructions from the how-to post, and right before you’re ready to pull it, add about a tablespoon or so of pesto and the tomatoes. Top with a little mozzarella cheese, cover with a lid and allow to melt then serve immediately. Bam! Chicken in 15 minutes and it’s healthier!
Skinny Chicken Pesto
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons pesto
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- olive oil
- Heat a pan over medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Once the pan is hot and add the tomatoes and saute until tender. Remove to a plate.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat the pan with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil over high heat until the oil shimmers and add the chicken. Quickly turn the pan down to low heat and cook for about 6 minutes or until the meat is white from the bottom, halfway up the chicken. Flip the chicken and cook an additional 4 minutes or until the chicken is white without any pink line running around the center of the chicken. Top each breast with some pesto, the tomatoes and the cheese. Place a lid over the pan and allow to finish cooking and the cheese melting. Serve immediately.