Did you know that you can cook a rice casserole in the slow cooker?! WHAAAAAAT? I bet some of you totally did know, but I really had never heard of doing such a thing. And when I had the brilliant idea I was quite worried that it wouldn’t even turn out but it was fantastic! It’s such a a simple meal that it really needs to go alongside our busy day casserole and cheesy ground beef and rice casserole because any adult or picky eater would be thrilled with slow cooker chicken alfredo rice casserole.
The ingredients are really easy and you can adjust it as you’d like, add peas, skip the broccoli, use brown rice and just cook it for an hour longer, you get my point. I think the biggest thing about this dish is to just use good ingredients. The better the basic ingredients are the better these classic, simple recipes are.
This casserole is a no brainer. Turn on the slow cooker, get the garlic browning in the bottom or in a pan then dump it in, add sliced chicken, cream cheese, then the liquid and rice and let the whole thing cook, stirring occasionally. I grew up in a very casserole friendly house (there’s even a chinese casserole my mom makes but I’ll have to get you the recipe for that one) and with 5 kids (who just gasped? I know someone did!) Mom definitely could have used a great alfredo slow cooker casserole to help get dinner on the table.
Especially because of how busy we were. With both of my parents serving in our church in busy callings, my siblings and I ranging more than 15 years apart in some cases and the business that comes from school, after school jobs, sports, music etc I don’t know how she kept up with any of it. And more importantly I don’t know why she didn’t ever just say, “Cold cereal for dinner!” Although Saturdays we did tend to have fruit and toast, omelets or even macaroni and cheese sometimes, but mostly fruit and toast. She’s a super hero for sure and now that I have a little family of my own I totally understand why any recipe that gets you in and out of the kitchen is appreciated.
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1½ cups rice or brown rice
- 2 breasts of chicken, sliced
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 ounces of cream cheese
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese plus more for garnish
- 2½ cups cream
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped
- In a small pan, or in a slow cooker on high, add the garlic and brown lightly. This could take up to 40 minutes in the slow cooker.
- Add the rice, chicken, garlic, butter, cream cheese, salt, pepper, parmesan, cream, broth and stir to combine. Cook the mixture on high for 2 hours or 3 hours for brown rice.
- Add the broccoli, stir and cook 20 more minutes. Serve with fresh parmesan on top!