I want to introduce you to this berry salad with lemon dressing. Hands down, this is our new favorite salad. Remember that one time when spinach salad was healthy? Well we now it has brown sugar almonds and a sweet dressing full of sugar to ruin it for ya. Actually it’s still healthier than let’s say a Caesar salad, but you get the point.
Seriously, we looooove this salad. My cousin, Robyn brought it to a family get together and days later we were still talking about it. We had it for dinner one night and had the leftovers for lunch the next day. Sweet deliciousness!! I love a good salad recipe. Especially during the summer when you just want something light to eat or a good idea to take to a BBQ or potluck.
We honestly are obsessed with the dressing. I’ve never felt this way about salad dressing before and although I do feel guilty about the amount of sugar that goes into it I still wont give it up. Like, ever. I’ll eat salad ever single day just to drizzle this dressing over it. And it’s so simple, lemons, a little oil and ginger, gobs of sugar (oops!), and pure gold. Ok, there’s no gold but it does end up tasting like liquid gold. In fact, maybe that should be it’s name!
And let’s not forget our crunchy little friends, brown sugar almonds. Goodness!! We usually use slivered almonds because they grab onto the brown sugar a little better, but we used slice above. Just try not to pick in them as they cool. If it wasn’t for all of the butter and sugar this would be my new snack. I could eat an entireTry this salad. Tomorrow would be a good day 😉
Berry Salad with Lemon Dressing
Strawberry Salad with Brown Sugar Almonds
Author: oh sweet basil
Serves: 8 Servings
A light and refreshing salad with a dressing that tastes like liquid gold
For the Brown Sugar Almonds
- ½ Cup Slivered Almonds
- 2 Tb Butter
- ¼ Cup or more brown sugar
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
For the Dressing
- 1 cup lemon juice, use as much fresh as you can
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ Teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ cup lemon zest (2 tablespoons)
For the Salad
- 1 Bunch of baby spinach, washed
- Strawberries, sliced
- 1 can mandarin oranges, drained, or blackberries
- Place the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake to combine or place in a bowl and whisk together.
For the Almonds
- Toast the almonds over medium heat, watching carefully so as to not burn until slightly browning. Make sure you move them around while toasting. Add butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Continue to cook, stirring frequently until brown sugar begins to bubble and stick to the almonds. Remove from heat and spread almonds on parchment paper to cool.
- Drizzle desired amount of dressing over the salad, toss everything together in a bowl, top with almonds and serve immediately.
Use any fresh berries or stone fruit.
Serving size: 1 Cup Each