This taco stew is the recipe most requested by anyone who knows my mom and now you can try it too! I beg you try this and you won’t regret it!
Remember how we took that awesome trip to celebrate my sister’s graduation up at Teton Springs? Well, it wasn’t just the trip to the cabin that was awesome, we had a ton of delicious and amazing food too. We started our trip with some brown sugar apple dip, and ended it with this Taco Stew that is unreal! It’s seriously a favorite in our house.
There’s something about the Fritos and the soup. I’m serious. I never and I mean never think to buy Fritos but they are a total necessity for topping off the taco stew. I think it’s that crunchy corn taste that works so well with everything.
We had a full day of “sledding” as they say in Idaho or snow mobiling to the rest of the world, thanks to my sweet Dad. He is such a kid at heart and loves to do things for his kids and grandkids. In fact, I’d even say that his grandkids have his heart even more than the rest of us and trust me they love him just as much as he loves them. It was so much fun to go flying up the mountain and look at the amazing views. If you haven’t ever been you are totally missing out, but I insist you be so careful. They are still easy to get hurt on.
A few years ago my sweet friend Cortney lost her husband, Nic in an avalanche while sledding and while he wasn’t doing anything dangerous, in fact he was saving someone’s life, it hit me hard just how tender life is and that we can have it taken away at any time. Cortney was one brave woman with a new baby and two other tiny children and has been such a great friend to me since college. I can’t wait to find an opportunity to be in the same place and reconnect one day. Maybe even over a big pot of this famous taco stew.
- 4 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3-4 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1 pkg. frozen peas (the small pkg.)
- 1 can (16 oz) tomatoes
- 1 8oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 pkg. taco seasoning or roughly ¼ cup
- 1 can corn (undrained)
- 1 can chili beans (undrained)
- 1 can green beans (undrained)
- 1 can kidney beans (undrained)
- In a large pot add a drizzle of olive oil and place over medium heat. Cook the onions until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the carrots and potatoes and add just enough water to cover them. Cook until tender.
- In a separate pan, over medium heat cook the hamburger, drain the grease and add to the water and tender veggies.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and cook until heated through. Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream and fritos!
There are a lot of lasagna soup recipes out there but I truly think this one is the best of the best.
There is not a single person in our family that doesn’t love this soup and with kids involved, that’s saying a lot!
Everyone who makes this potato soup never tries another version again. It really is the best thanks to a few secrets.
So you think you love chili? But have you had chili with chocolate and Dr Pepper?