Oh, hello awful picture. Well, what can you do? It’s already been eaten and I’m not in the mood for watermelon this week so this pic will have to work.
It’s been hot out this week. I mean HOT! We have pretty much been melting away if we stay indoors so we’ve been getting in a lot of much needed pool time and relaxation. There’s just something about being at the pool that really makes for a great summer. Seeing all of the sunscreen, beach towels, all the pool toys come out in the stores every year just announces that summer is here! No more of that awful snow, yay! This watermelon ice is the perfect refresher for these kinds of hot days by the pool or even in your own backyard. It is so light and yummy, I love that you get just a little hint of lime that balances out the watermelon so well and really makes for a refreshing treat. You’ll have the whole neighborhood lined up at your front door just to try a bite!
- 6 Tablespoons Sugar
- 7 Tablespoons Water
- 4 Kaffir Lime Leaves (1tablespoon zest+6 leaves)
- 1 lb Watermelon
- Pour the sugar, water, and lime leaves into a pan. Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Pour into a large bowl and set aside to cool.
- Cut the watermelon into wedges, Cut the flesh from the rind, remove seeds and chop.
- Spoon the watermelon into a food processor and process to a slush. Mix with the sugar syrup. Chill in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
- Strain the mixture into a freezer proof dish and freeze for 2 hours.
- Remove from freezer and use a fork to break up all of the ice. Return to freezer for 3 more hours, beating the ice crystals with the fork every 30 min.
- Freeze until firm.