Have we ever told you all how much we love you? Whether you are an old reader, a blogger or here for the first time we seriously love getting your comments and emails. Our favorite part though, the recipes. So many of you send recipes that mean something to you or that’s an old family favorite and we cannot begin to tell you how much we love that. And we totally do make them! Most often we don’t publish them because they are a family secret or something. This watermelon salad though, well it was just the best watermelon salad ever so I HAD to ask our sweet reader, Debra for permission to post the recipe. It’s seriously up there in deliciousness with our cheesecake fruit salad and cucumber grape salad.
And because we have no idea how to leave a recipe alone we couldn’t resist adding our own twist so this one uses white balsamic vinegar and grapes because the girls asked and I couldn’t have thought of a better idea. So what’s the deal with white balsamic vinegar? And do you really have to buy it? Well, no you could do the norm, but white balsamic vinegar isn’t boiled as long and has a cleaner aftertaste which is quite lovely for a light fruit dish. We really enjoy it, but the other is wonderful as well.
- 5 cups watermelon, chopped
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups red grapes, sliced
- 1-3 tabelspoons of white balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped *see note*
- In a large bowl, gently toss the watermelon, tomatoes and grapes. Chill for 30 minutes if the watermelon was not already in the fridge. Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar to taste (you can use more or less than us) and sprinkle with salt, mint and basil. Serve.