Today is the day!!! We are having an online baby shower for the most darling pregnant lady I know, Caroline from Chocolate & Carrots!! Seriously, are you following her on instagram? She is so stinking talented, sweet and darling! Make sure you scroll down to see what everyone brought. Caroline has been craving citrus so we wanted to really hit that craving for her, like these lemon poppy seed muffins! Enjoy!
We made these lemon poppy seed muffins a few weeks ago for a breakfast with our church. I knew it was a busy week and wasn’t up for contributing much so I only signed up for jam. I figured it’s homemade so it was still yummy, but I didn’t have to actually do anything other than remove it from the freezer. This was until my husband mentioned the night before the breakfast that he had signed us up for muffins. (We now have a wonderful little agreement called, “honey, you don’t sign up for anything. I’ll sign up if I decide we are going to bring something”.)
I sat down with him to decide on a muffin recipe, but we both concluded we wanted to try something new so we decided on Lemon Poppy Seed with a light glaze.
These lemon poppy seed muffins turned out wonderful. I will totally make them again.
- Recipe by: Dorie Greenspan
- ⅔ cup sugar
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemon (about just under ¼ cup)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- ¾ cup sour cream (I used light sour cream)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, rub sugar and lemon zest together with your fingertips until the sugar is moist and the fragrance of lemon is strong. Whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and poppy seeds.
- In another bowl, whisk the sour cream, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and melted butter together until well blended. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and gently stir to blend. Do not over stir!
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. (There apparently was a note to try adding a dollop of blueberry jam in the middle before baking, but I didn't have any so I didn't.)
- Bake 18-20 minutes.
- Transfer pan to a cooling rack. Cool 5 minutes then remove from pan. Cool completely, then glaze with icing.
- Mini Lemon Curd Tarts from Texanerin Baking
- Lemon Yogurt Baked Donuts with Chocolate Drizzle from The Lemon Bowl
- Berry Tart with Lime Glaze from Katie’s Cucina
- Super Soft Clementine Sugar Cookies from The Comfort of Cooking
- Grapefruit Salad with Avocado, Honey and Mint from Eating Made Easy
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins from Oh, Sweet Basil
- Meyer Lemon Poppy Seed Pull-Apart Muffins from Eats Well With Others
- Flourless Dark Chocolate Orange Brownies from Sweet Treats and More
- Quinoa Granola Parfaits with Grapefruit & Mint from Climbing Grier Mountain
- Orange Pecan French Toast from The Baker Mama
- Creamy Lemon Pasta from Barefeet In The Kitchen
- Meyer Lemon Shortbread Cookies from Keep It Sweet Desserts