These roasted chickpea and garlic caesar salad pitas are a quick and healthy dinner that will be on your table in 30 minutes!
This post is sponsored on behalf of USA Pulses and Pulse Canada but all opinions, as always are our own. You know us, we only chat about the things we love and want to tell you about. 😉
This is the perfect recipe to add to your weeknight dinner menu! It is super easy, comes together in just 30 minutes and it’s an easy healthy choice for you and your family. Sometimes it seems like nutritious automatically sounds like it will be hard but it’s totally not, I promise. Plus, it’s a pita and who doesn’t love those? We have a hoisin pork and cucumber pita we love as well.
These chickpeas, which are really the main attraction, are tossed in Mediterranean spices and then roasted in the oven for 20 minutes along with fresh garlic. Toss some kale (romaine would work too) in your favorite Caesar salad dressing, add the chickpeas and some pre-cooked shrimp and place all in a warm pita. Dinner is served!
We are always looking for easy, simple ingredients to add to our pantry that will help us and our family lead healthier lives. Well, we recently discovered one of those ingredients in chickpeas and I’m pretty sure it’s a mom win and I totally deserve a treat this weekend because the kids loved the chickpeas! They are delicious, protein-packed, sustainable foods known as dry-peas, chickpeas, lentils and beans. We love them, not just because they are healthy, but they are one of those ingredients that lend itself to basically any flavor. Instead of over-powering other ingredients and flavors in a recipe, Chickpeas, or any pulses will only compliment and enhance the flavors around them (all while adding nutrients to our family’s diet).
And did you know that May is Mediterranean Diet Month? Chickpeas (and shrimp) are a key ingredient in this heart-healthy diet and we all know who wanted that added, Cade. The guy slips shrimp in to all meals but especially during the summer months.
Roasted Chickpea and Garlic Caesar Salad Pitas
- 1 cup Pulses® chickpeas
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 Tablespoon smoked garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon turmeric
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt
- 2 whole wheat pitas
- 6 pre-cooked shrimp
- 2 cups chopped kale (romaine works as well)
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 Tablespoons Caesar salad dressing (more to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In small mixing bowl, combine smoked garlic powder, turmeric, dried basil and sea salt.
- In another mixing bowl, toss Pulses® chickpeas in the avocado oil
- Sprinkle 1 Tablespoon of the smoked garlic mixture over the Pulses® chickpea and toss, ensuring they are well-coated.
- Place Pulses® chickpeas on baking sheet, along with garlic clove halves.
- Roast for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When Pulses® chickpeas are done, remove from oven and set aside.
- In medium bowl, add kale, shrimp and your desired amount of Caesar dressing.
- Take pita and add kale/shrimp mixture.
- Top with Pulses® chickpeas.
Fresh shrimp would work well too. Simply pat dry, add a little avocado oil to a small skillet and fry the shrimp approximately 1-2 minutes per side or until fully cooked. Sprinkle with sea salt.