Let’s cool down this summer with a slice of this sweet, simple, and refreshing Strawberry Icebox Pie and relax all day long!
I’m happy to be visiting you again from Garnish & Glaze to share a much needed refreshing treat– Strawberry Icebox Pie!
The summers in the Midwest can be unbearably hot at times due to the humidity. The moment you step outside you start to sweat and you question why you even bothered to shower or style your hair. The heat does make for a perfect excuse to have a swim party, even if the pool is a 4 foot diameter blow-up kiddie pool. And with a party you of course need a cold dessert like ice cream!
This Strawberry Icebox Pie can be made even a few days in advance which is especially nice when planning a party. It’s so nice to just pull it out of the freezer like a carton of ice cream, but it’s a lot prettier. I also love how it still has a fresh component on top with the homemade whipped cream and fresh strawberries.
This pie has a pretzel crust which adds a salty flavor that is fantastic with the sweet strawberry ice cream filling. I’m a big fan of the sweet & salty combo.
So the filling is made with just whipping cream, cream cheese, strawberries, sweetened condensed milk (luv that stuff!), and strawberry gelatin which makes it so PINK! The fresh strawberries in it are mashed so there is still a little bit of texture, but if you want things smooth you can easily puree it.
I recommend letting the pie sit on the counter for about 15 minutes before slicing so it’s not so hard to cut up, but that time could vary depending on how cold your freezer is and how hot your house is. It doesn’t melt too bad because of the gelatin in it so don’t stress.
Enjoy your summer with a slice of ice cream pie!
Strawberry Icebox Pie
- 1½ cups finely crushed pretzels
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups crushed strawberries
- ½ (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 12 fresh strawberries, halved
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix the crushed pretzels, brown sugar, and butter together and press into the bottom and sides of a greased 10-inch pie plate. Bake for 12 minutes and then let it cool completely.
- Mash strawberries by hand or roughly pulse in a blender.
- Beat the 1 cup heavy whipping cream until soft peaks. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat sweetened condensed milk, cream cheese, and gelatin together until smooth. Mix in the strawberries and then fold in the whipped cream.
- Spread into the cooled pretzel crust. Place in the freezer for at least 8 hours or until firm.
- Whip cream with powdered sugar until soft peaks form. Serve on top of sliced pie along with strawberries.
Recipe adapted from MyRecipes